What does Communication mean to me?

 Communication is the key that connects people, information, culture and all aspects of
life. The world would be lost without it. Communication is a visual, verbal and non-verbal
language, an information source and a gateway for expression. There are so my branches of
communication. There’s public relations, advertising, journalism and mass communication. I’m a
mass communication major so I get a broader understanding of communication as a whole and
the importance of its parts.
 The most honorable part of being a communication major is understanding the impact
we have in a society. It is a priority to give people truthful news, good or bad, that informs them
on what is going on in their world. I work to push people to see beyond the obvious and analyze
everything they come in contact with. I want the world to become clearer and I want to grasps
the attention of others whether it's to entertain, inform or advertise by exercising the power of
communication.
 The use of social media plays a big role in communication. I enjoy social media because
it constantly keeps me updated on all levels of news, it's easier to contact people and gives a
large range of people the platform to express themselves. Of course social media has its
downfalls but it has kept me intertwined with news that happens all over the world.
Growing up, I was very talkative and curious about life and everything around me. My
dad sometimes would video record me on his camcorder performing the “Maia Show” where I
would discuss random things that happened in my joyful, stress-free life. I have also been
dancing ever since I was 3 years old and am now the President of the Pom Dance Team at
Buffalo State, so music has been very important to me. 
 The older I got, the more I became interested in pop culture, music, politicians and celebrity news. My favorite show was 106 & Park. It was a ​countdown music video show that featured popular hip-hop, contemporary R&B, reggae and dance hall music videos. It was a mix
of the things I enjoyed the most; speaking, learning and music. It’s  also when I was first
introduced to communication studies. 
 There were many hosts on the show and they each had their own personality and skill. I
was infatuated with the role of being a host. They were journalists who interviewed both
legendary and upcoming artists. The show gave musicians, dancers and even actors the platform
to showcase their art. It kept me up to date with pop culture, the newest and hottest music videos
and even world news. I thought about how cool is it to use communication in the form of music
and interview the most influential people in the industry. 
 ​I am now a senior in college, working on graduating with a degree in communication studies. I would love to get a job in my field immediately after college but I am unsure of the
likeliness of that.
 My dream job is to meet and interview influential, famous and rich people in
the industry. I want to be placed on a platform where I don’t just say what I am told to say, but
express my own opinion and deliver raw, uncut news. I want to be happy in my work field. 
Honestly, it's a bit scary moving into the real world and being pushed into another level
of adulthood. The only thing that comforts me is envisioning the lifestyle that I dream about and
using my voice to educate others. The only thing that clouds that dream is my own doubt. I have
to work hard for making my dreams come true.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creative Logos are the Best Logos